Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Way of Holiness Is Not a One-Way Street

For several years I lived on a narrow street in Cleveland, Ohio which should have been made a one-way street. With parked cars on it most of the time there was just barely enough room for two cars coming in opposite directions to pass one another. Quite often, one of the passing vehicles would jump the curb and drive partially upon the narrow curb lawns to avoid a collision. It was hard to keep that piece of lawn looking nice with the constant intrusion of vehicle tires, though I could not really get too upset at the drivers considering their predicament.

In my walk with the Lord, I've noticed that the Way of Holiness is not a one-way street! It seems to be full of two-way traffic and, even, parked Christians.

That observation surprised me, at first. How could anyone wish to park upon the Way, let alone, turn around and head back to where it is that they were delivered from? But, after having a look at my own progress upon the Lord's road, I am grateful that He does not ticket or tow violators upon His holy Way.

I am one of the worst motorists. The time I spend parked along the side of the Way getting in every other Christian's way is sinful. My actions cause others to momentarily end up off the Way as they try to navigate around me. Even worse, I am sure I somehow have not been so sure which way I was supposed to be going on the Way to Holiness.

I think I understand why He has not made the Way of Holiness a one-way street. If we are faithful to confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive. I am, too often, a reckless Christian who even spends too much time parked on the Way of Holiness grumbling about how narrow the Way seems to be.

Thank God for His mercy and grace!

No comments: